Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor RIP

Cardinal Cormac died of cancer on 1 September 2017 after an extended hospital stay. He died peacefully this afternoon surrounded by friends and family.[3] He was 85 years old.

Message from Cardinal Cormac[2]:
My dear Bishop Richard,

I would be very grateful if you would convey this short message to the priests, religious and lay faithful of the Diocese, of which I as well as you have been privileged to serve as their Bishop.

At this time, the words I pray every night are never far from my thoughts: “Into your hands, Lord, I commend my spirit”. Please tell them that I am at peace and have no fear of what is to come. I have received many blessings in my life, especially from my family and friends. I thank God for the many priests, religious and lay faithful who have helped and sustained me in my Episcopal life. Nor should I forget the many Anglican and Free Church colleagues whose friendship I have valued very much. Above all, as I now commend myself to the loving mercy of God, I ask them all to pray for me as I remember and pray for them.

Fraternally in the Lord,
+Cormac

Cardinal Cormac will be buried under the 10th Station of the Cross in the Cathedral - a place he chose himself.[5]

Funeral arrangements have been announced[4]:
Cardinal Cormac’s body will be received into Westminster Cathedral at 10am on Tuesday 12 September 2017. This will be a short service and then the Cardinal’s body will lie in Westminster Cathedral throughout Tuesday. All are welcome to visit to pay their respects, pray, and sign the book of condolence. At 5pm on Tuesday 12 September 2017 there will be Vespers of the Dead, at which Cardinal Vincent will preside and Archbishop Bernard Longley will preach. The Cathedral will remain open after Vespers until 8pm to provide a further opportunity for quiet prayer.

The Funeral Mass will be at 12 noon on Wednesday 13 September 2017. Cardinal Vincent will preside and Archbishop George Stack will be the preacher. Due to the national nature of this occasion and pressure on places, entry to the Cathedral will be by ticket only.

On Sunday 1 October, a Memorial Mass will be celebrated by Bishop Richard in Arundel Cathedral at 3pm. All are welcome to attend.

Update:
The funeral took place at Westminster Cathedral. Cardinal Vincent Nichols was chief celebrant. Archbishop George Stack gave the homily.[6]

More than 1,200 people attended, among them the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby and former Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, the former Bishop of London, Richard Chartres, Coptic Archbishop Angaelos, many politicians, including former Irish president Mary McAleese and Conservative MP Jacob Rees Mogg, together with 47 bishops and more than 250 priests.[5]


[1] Wikipedia: Cormac Murphy-O'Connor
[2] Message from Cardinal Cormac.pdf
[3] Obituary: Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O’Connor
[4] Funeral Announcement
[5] Funeral Report
[6] Funeral Homily
[7] Funeral Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment